Tony Mancuso of GoPSUsports.com has posted a video interview with Micha Hancock. As always, Tony does a great job, and the video, which we’ve included below, is worth a view.
For the statistically minded, we’ve included four tables that show Micha’s career statistics. In almost every category, she’s having her best season yet — this, despite the graduation of Deja McClendon, Ariel Scott and Katie Slay, and the need to adjust to new teammates (or teammates playing in new positions) all along the front row. In fact, with Micha Hancock directing the attack, this year’s team is hitting a collective .356 (tops in the NCAA) compared to .305 last season.
It’s nice having Micha Hancock on your team.
Micha Hancock's Career Set/Serve Statistics (11-19-14)
Micha Hancock's Career Attack Stats (11-19-14)
Micha Hancock's Career Blocking Stats (11-19-14)
Micha Hancock's Career Dig Stats (11-19-14)
And finally, here’s an interview with Micha at the 2013 AVCA All-America Awards Ceremony, followed by highlights of Micha’s career up to 2014:
2013 (Junior): NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player; AVCA 1st Team All-America; Volleyball Magazine 2nd Team All-America; Big Ten Setter of the Year; All-B1G Ten. Continued her record-setting performance from the service line, averaging 0.65 aces/set — good for 2nd overall in NCAA Division I and 1st in the B1G — which upped her career total to a Penn State career best of 254 service aces (breaking the previous record held by Ellen Hensler, who starred for the team from 1983 to1986). Other highlights from the season included:
- posting 45 assists and 13 digs in a 3-2 win at #24 Purdue on October 5th, earning B1G Ten Setter of the week honors;
- setting a new personal best with 67 assists, to go with four kills and eight digs, in a 3-2 win at #11 Minnesota on October 9th;
- leading Penn State to a hard-fought win at #19 Wisconsin on October 12th, followed by her second consecutive B1G Ten Setter of the Week award;
- totaling 48 assists (with five kills, an ace, nine digs and five blocks) in a 3-1 comeback win at #17 Michigan on November 1st;
- directing Penn State’s offence to a .451 team attack % in a 3-0 win at #14 Michigan State on November 2nd, followed by her third B1G Ten Setter of the Week award;
- breaking the Penn State career service ace record, and registering 63 assists and nine digs, in a 3-1 win over Northwestern on November 22nd;
- totaling 52 assists and nine digs, as Penn State clinched a share of the B1G title in a 3-1 win over #20 Illinois on November 23rd, followed by her fourth B1G Ten Setter of the Week award;
- leading Penn State to a tough 3-1 win over #10 Nebraska in Lincoln on November 30th, registering 49 assists, and nine digs, followed by her fifth B1G Ten Setter of the Week award in the 2013 season;
- helping lead the Nittany Lions to a comeback 3-2 win over Stanford on December 14th in the NCAA Tournament Regional Finals, with 58 assists and 15 digs;
- setting the Nittany Lions to a gaudy .488 team attack % in its dominating 3-0 win over Washington on December 19th in the NCAA Semifinals (adding 39 assists, five kills, and six digs and putting together service runs in the first and second sets that caused Huskie Head Coach Jim McLauglin to burn both his time-outs in those sets);
- came through with a clutch, match-ending service run in the fourth set, to lead Penn State to a 3-1 victory over #12 Wisconsin on December 21st in the NCAA Tournament Final, totaling 48 assists, five kills, three aces, 16 digs and two blocks.
2012 (Sophomore): AVCA 1st Team All-America; Volleyball Magazine 1st Team All-America; West Lafayette Regional All-Tournament Team; Big Ten Setter of the Year; All-Big Ten; Big Ten Player of the Week (9/3); Big Ten Setter of the Week (9/3, 9/24, 10/1, 10/22, 11/5, 11/19); AVCA National Player of the Week (11/6).
2011 (Freshman): AVCA Mideast Region Freshman of the Year; Unanimous Big Ten All-Freshman Team selection; Big Ten Freshman of the Year; Big Ten Co-Freshman of the Week (11/14, 11/21, 11/28). Guided Penn State to a .267 hitting percentage (12th nationally); averaged 10.54 assists per set (sixth in the Big Ten).
High School: Two-time Oklahoma Gatorade Player of the Year; 2011 PrepVolleyball.com Top 50 Recruit and Senior Ace; member of the 2009 USA Junior National Championship All-Tournament Team; named to Volleyball Magazine’s “Fab 50”; Best Setter Award in 2010 USA High Performance International Championship Tournament; selected to the 2010 Youth Olympic Team; 2010 Under Armour All-American.
- Photos of Micha Hancock courtesy of GoPSUsports.com